The district of Cazzano di Tramigna is 23 kilometres apart from Verona, and it includes the community of Campiano, Costeggiola, Monti and Pissolo. In the area, were discovered some inscriptions, which belong to the Roman period. One of these is walled up in the parish church. The San Giorgio Martire Church is the actual parish church and it was built at the end of nineteenth century, on the remains of an preexisting building. Of the old building we have some traces of frescoes (XIV sec.), the altar (XV c.), the octagonal font in red marble (XV century) and a tabernacle in tuff.
The San Felice Sanctuary is situated in a panoramic position. According to tradition, the Church was consecrated, by Pope Lucio III in 1185. The facade still has the typical elements of the Roman period. The interior contains a rich set of frescoes of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, made in part from Maestro Cicogna. The San Pietro in Brian Church was built in the early sixteenth century. The building is located on the slopes of the hill that dominates the village of Cazzano. The small and modest Romanesque Church contains frescoes paintings of particular value, attributed to Maestro Cicogna. In the center of the town there is a resurgence called Fontanone or Mora Lake, in honor of the blackberry, queen of the cherries of Verona. The waters of the resurgence comes from Monte Bastia and from the nearby Illasi valley. At the center of the Mora Lake was placed in 2008 a statue of San Giovanni Nepomuceno.
The district of Cerro is 17 kilometres apart from Verona, on the Monti Lessini. The name “Cerro” is linked to the majestic oak-cork, a secular tree that is next to the parish church. The human presence is documented since the Paleolithic. In the fourteenth century, the Cimbri, ancient people of Germanic or Celtic origin, colonized the territory. Not far from the town center, on top of the Mount of the Cross, is the Chapel of the Redeemer. It is a building with an octagonal structure, built in 1900 and consecrated by Pope Leo X to Christ the Redeemer. Inside the Chapel, a ladder leads to an external balcony, at the height of the roof, from where you can enjoy a magnificent view over the surrounding area. On cloudless days you can see the whole chain of the Southern Apennines.
The Giassara dei Carcereri was built 200 years ago and it is the only survivor of the 27 “giassare” (ice house) of Cerro. The structure, which fell into disuse after World War II, is in good condition and consists of a circular stone building for the storage of ice, and a porch with a unique sloping. Near the Giassara there is a circular pool. A staircase allows entrance into the deposit and reaches the bottom of the icebox. The Giassara hosts within the Museo Ergologico, established in 1990, which contains illustrations and descriptions of the activities of “giassaroi”, for the manufacturing and sale of ice. The “Còale del Mondo” is located in Vajo of Carcarèta, so called for the presence of a limestone. The exact name should be Còale di Edmondo from the name of the owner. The Còale is an old water pipe, dug into the rocks eroded by the river. This cavern returned a number of stone tools of the Neolithic like arrowheads and scrapers.
The district of Colognola ai Colli is 14 kilometres apart from Verona, and it includes the community of Monte, Pieve, San Vittore, San Zeno, Strà and Villa or Pian, municipal head office. The richest Roman documentation of Val d'Illasi was found in this district: various types of inscriptions, ruins of a rustic villa, fragments of inscriptions, tombs and more.
Between the V and the VI centuries the first chapels were built. The small oratory, built on the ruins of the temple of Mercury, became Santa Maria della Pieve, between the XI and XII centuries. The exterior of the church has a very simple structure, devoid of decorative and liturgical elements. The Romanesque bell tower was rebuilt at the end of the XIX century. The interior has three naves, a main altar and two side altars, in Baroque style. Numerous frescoes, dating from the late thirteenth and mid-fifteenth century, were unearthed thanks to the restoration works. Unfortunately many of them were lost in 1630 due to whitewashing of the walls after the plague. In the eighteenth century, the statue of the "Madonna con Gesù in grembo" was installed and framed by a painting of an "Annunciazione."
The district of Dolcè is 30 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Casa Sparse, Ceraino, Colombare, Ossenigo, Passaggio Napoleone, Peri and Volargne. Until 1915, in the Ossenigo district, there was a border with the Austro – Hungarian Empire. In the village of Dolcè there are some buildings of historic and artistic interest, like Villa del Bene, Palazzo Salgari, Palazzo Mondini, Palazzo Guerrieri-Rizzardi, Palazzo Ruzzenenti, also called the “Casermaggio” and Palazzo Tommasini. In the center of Volargne, there is the beautiful Villa Del Bene. It is the most eastern of the villas in the Valpolicella and is one of the best complexes of the sixteenth century in the entire Veneto region. After the bomb disaster on November 24, 1944, caused by an explosion from a train loaded with explosives, the villa was involved in a lengthy campaign of restoration. Thanks to the acquisition of the property by the Italian State in 1956, it was possible to completely recover and restore the villa.
A large cycle of 1500 frescoes decorates the staircase, the balcony above the porch, the living room and some rooms on the first floor of the building. The authors are the most prominent artists working in the middle of the sixteenth century in Verona: Giovan Francesco and Giovanni Caroto, Domenico Brusasorzi, Bernardino India and Nicola Crollalanza. In the private chapel there are six ovals of painter Marco Marcola. Near Ceraino, the Adige flows through a narrow valley between Monte Pastello and Monte Moscal, creating a very picturesque natural landscape. This area, known as 'Chiusa Ceraino', extends for about 2.5 km. The specific geographic structure gave some strategic military importance to this area. Near the lock, just in Rivoli Veronese, Napoleon led a major battle against the Austrians (1797). During Austrian domination, around 1850, four forts were built in the area to defend the lock. These four forts still exists. Another point of interest is the Spurga delle Cadene or Peri, located between the villages of Peri and Fosse. The Spurga delle Cadene is a cave, made of little rooms. The most attractive one is the White Room, full of mineral, very similar to the Carso's grottos.
The district of Fumane is 20 kilometers apart from Verona and it includes the community of Breonio, Cavalo, Gorgusello, Manune, Mazzurega and Molina. The Fumane valley, also called the "Valley of Progni" for the abundance of waterways, is the westernmost of the valleys of Lessinia. In this land dominates the cultivation of the grapevine, sometimes mixed with the olive and cherry cultivation. All the territory of Fumane has been inhabited since prehistoric times. There are numerous sites that have returned archaeological finds, dated back from the Paleolithic to the Bronze Age. The eighteenth century han been a time of important renewal of the religious construction industry. The area of Fumane offers a lot of points of intrest, like the Waterfalls Park in Molina. Opened in July 1973, the park covers an area of about 150 hectares and it is classified as "a natural reserve with educational purposes". Dipped in a lush vegetation there are wonderful examples of surface rock excavation carried out by the rivers that have given rise to waterfalls, lakes, caves and cliffs. The charm and interest of the park are completed by the adjoining Botanical Museum, which includes all the plant species present in the Natural Park of Lessinia. Recently the Malga and the Molin De Lorenzo have been restored and opened to the public. Upon reservation you can assist respectively to the production of cheese and to the flour milling.
Molina village still preserves the characteristics of a medieval village, with the stone architecture of western Lessinia and ancient courts. Along the old road that goes from Fumane to Molina in the Val dei Progni the archaeologist Giovanni Solinas discovered what is now called “Cave of Fumane”. It is a prehistoric site that was occupied by Neanderthals and by so-called Modern men (Homo sapiens). The cave was in the past decorated with red paints, of which some fragments have been preserved, evidence of the figurative arts of the Upper Paleolithic. Among these, the most important depicts an anthropomorphic figure painted in red ocher mixed with only water, the so-called "Shaman", considered the oldest painting found in Europe, returned to 35.000 years ago. The archaeological site has been transformed in a museum and it is possible to visit it on reservation. There are many villas and churches with a great historical and artistic importance, and they are located throughout the territory of Fumane. One of the most important is Villa della Torre, dating back to the mid-sixteenth century. The villa is designed and built in harmony with the environment, with an artificial progression of scalar plans, innovative for the Verona area. The villa has a closed scheme with peristyle in the center, around which overlooks the various rooms and acts as a pivot to the entire complex. Fountains and grottos enhanced the three courtyards. For the authorship of the factory, the art history has summoned Michele Sanmicheli (1484-1559) and Giulio Romano, assuming an intervention of the famous plasterer Bartolomeo Ridolfi, collaborator of Andrea Palladio. In particular, the wonderful and huge fireplaces have been assigned to Ridolfi. The private chapel, which is located along the perimeter wall of the house to the inside, is generally attributed to Sanmicheli. The Madonna de La Salette Sanctuary was built on the hill overlooking the village of Fumane in 1860, when the country was threatened by a plague of "late blight". The disease attacked the vineyards from the valley destroying them. To avoid the pestilence, the inhabitants built on the hill Incisa a sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary appeared in La Salette (France). From the beautiful square in front of the building you can admire the entire valley of Fumane and Valpolicella. The sanctuary is accessible from the town center by car, by bike or on foot, through two paths or through an uphill path flanked by shrines.
The district of Grezzana is 7 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Alcenago, Azzago, Lugo, Romagnno, Rosaro e Stallavena. It is one of the main centers of the foothills of the Valpantena, the valley that from Verona leads up to the Lessini Mountains, through Poiano, Quinto and Marzana. Throughout the territory we have been found traces of human activity dating back to the lower Paleotico Heart of the village is the ancient church of Santa Maria and Elizabeth, documented since 1145. The Church was restored after World War II, definitively losing the simple and solemn appearance of the original Romanesque church. To embellish the church today there are the altars and paintings of Prospero Schiavi, Felice Brusasorzi and Sante Creara, Michelangelo Spada. Next to the church there is the bell tower (1213), which still retains the original Romanesque face. The base was built with reused material coming from the ruins of Roman buildings. In addition to wine production, the town is known for the extraction and processing of marble, exported all over the world. Lugo di Grezzana houses the Consorzio Marmisti Valpantena. Villa Arvedi is the largest of the Venetian villas in the province of Verona. It is located on the slope of a hill, surrounded by olive trees and a forest of oak and horn beam. Documented since the thirteenth century, the Villa was a property of Mastino, Alberto and Cangrande della Scala. Villa Arvedi was established in its present form in the mid-seventeenth century and it become property of the Arvedi family in 1824. The Room of the Titans and the little church are dedicated to San Carlo Borromeo and they are entirely frescoed by famous French painter Louis Dorigny (1654-1742). Other frescoes are works of Paolo Farinati and Sante Prunati. Another important villa is the so-called “Red Palace”, due to the red brick color of its exterior. The villa was erected in 1580 by the will of Ludovico Bevilacqua Lazise. The rich painted decoration is particularly interesting. The frescoes were rediscovered in the early twentieth century, restored by the famous painter Angelo Zamboni, who integrated the paintings with original solutions. The original part dates back to the sixteenth and the seventeenth century.
In Grezzana, we also have the San Micheletto in Tavignana Chruch. San Micheletto was a gathering place for the shepherds during the transhumance period, before going up the mountain and during their return. In 1630, during the terrible plague, it was used as a leper hospital. During this period the Confraternity of San Micheletto was established. In the eighteenth century the structure was fixed in its present form. Inside the Church there is a 15th century fresco, depicting a beautiful “Madonna and Child”, framed with red marble. Although today the Church of San Micheletto is facing the street, it still remains a place of great charm and ancient memories. In the village of Stallavena there are the so-called Shelter Tagliente (“Riparo Tagliente”) and the Shelter Falasco (“Riparo Falasco”). The Riparo Tagliente is an archaeological site discovered in 1958 by F. Tagliente. Some buildings in excellent state of preservation can be date back to the Paleolithic times. On the opposite side of the valley of the Shelter Tagliente (“Riparo Tagliente”) there is Shelter Falasco("Riparo Falasco").This is a site under rock inhabited since prehistoric times. Today the shelter looks like a charming complex. It is composed of remains of the mighty wall constructions, the Tower of Sedge and a robust cylindrical structure with an internal staircase leading to the refuge of the bandit and monumental rock walls. Northeast of Grezzana, there is the Vajo del Paradiso. It is a narrow and deep valley of fluvial origin and is a place of great interest to lovers of geology, paleontology, and botany. There is much proof of human history from prehistory to the early Christian age (rock paintings and the remains of a protohistoric settlement, with fossil species, animals and plants). In the locality of Bellori, there is a traditional water mill of the sixteenth century. Thanks to the City of Grezzana in 1981, it has been restored. Inside some of the panels illustrate the method of working of cereals (milling) and the distribution of water mills on the territory. Particularly impressive are the large wooden wheel, the two millstones, the elevator and the sifters to sift the products of the mill. The educational faunistic park “Al Bosco” is located about 7 km from the center of Grezzana, in a protected area surrounded by greenery. During the Eighteenth century, some elephant fossil has been found and they could be dated back to two millions of years ago. Today, in the park, a mountain habitat has been recreated and it includes hundreds of wild animals, accustomed to contact with humans. You will encounter deer, roe deer, fallow deer, chamois, mouflon, wild boars, fox, storks, wolves, porcupines, lynx and many others. The Santa Viola Fort was built between 1904 and 1913 and it is located between the Valpantena and Val Squaranto. The part facing west has a characteristic shape of a 'pincer close', protected by a deep moat. It was equipped with eight cannons placed along the entire front of the fort.
The district of Illasi is 20 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Cellore. The territory of Illasi has been inhabited since prehistoric times. In 2007 a large sepulchral area was discovered, dated between the late third and early second millennium BC. About sixty tombs have been identified and inside of them were found simple objects: stone and ceramic beads, a horn pommel of a dagger and the metal tip of a dagger. The strategic importance accorded to Illasi is confirmed by the decision to build the castle that still stands on the hill to dominate the country. The main structure is pre - Scala era, and it is unclear what powerful person may have created a work so technologically advanced without leaving documentary traces.
Villa Pompei Carlotti is located on the main square of the town of Illasi. Giovanni Paolo Pompei enlarged it between 1683 and 1687. In 1700 Alessandro Pompei built the chapel. Inside the chapel there are the tombs of the last Pompei and Giulio Carlotti. The structure is made by following the typology of classical Venetian villa, with central hall and four rooms placed laterally. The rooms on the main floor are entirely frescoed. A second branch of the family of Pompei of Villa Pompei Carlotti built Villa Sagramoso Perez Pompei in its present size in 1737. The main building, with three floors, has a porch with five arches. The left wing is the oldest part of the complex and it was built in 1615. Inside there are large halls, galleries and rooms decorated with eighteenth-century frescoes. Nowadays, an Italian garden is located on the right side of the villa. A wide five-kilometers path inside the park leads up to the castle. Along the way you can see a moat that once was a pond. A pavilion next to the garden housed the greenhouses; today it has been transformed into a restaurant.
The district of Lavagno is 15 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of San Bricco, San Pietro and Vago. In the district many archaeological finds from pre - Roman times were found. It also assumes there was a village near San Bricco, dating from between the seventh and sixth centuries BC. More settlements were built in Roman times, also thanks to the Via Postumia. In the Middle Ages the heights were preferred over the plain because they were easily defensible. Many families acquired lands in the area where they also built their villas. Villa Zannini has eighteenth-century origins and shows a horizontal body in the middle, while the side areas are used as dwellings of the employee staff. The architecture is elegant, especially in the lower part, with a framed door. In the center of the tympanum there is the coat of arms of the Da Porto family. All around the park it is also preserved an ancient icebox. Villa Castagna, dating from the twelfth century, was a monastery, later demolished by the bombing of the wars; you can still admire the spiral staircase and the current winery.
In the territory of Lavagno it has always been strong monastic presence, especially in the past two centuries under the Bishop of Verona. The oldest complex is the monastery of San Giuliano di Lepia, which dates from the twelfth century. The Church of St. James of Grigliano was built in the late fourteenth century and has a Gothic style. Inside frescoes painted by a master of Altichiero School are preserved, perhaps Martino da Verona. Even the sacred furnishings are works of art produced in the Verona area. The Fort of San Briccio was erected in the nineteenth century by the Italian military Genius. It was built on a fifteenth century church. In the past years houses the Museum of Rural Culture and Show of Prehistory. The Fort is a trapezoidal building, made in stone and brick.
The district of Marano di Valpolicella is 18 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Mondrago, Pezza, Prognol, Purano, San Rocco and Valgatara. The Marano valley is characterized by a gentle hilly landscape. The terraces, which characterize the whole area, arrange the numerous crops in an orderly manner, following the natural contours of the land. There are many fruit trees (plum, apricot, apple, pear) and vineyards, the latter recently planted and present in the lower end of the valley. Scattered are olive trees. Despite the prevalence of the cultivated land, the landscape also covers forested areas. Monte Catelon is an isolated top, between the valleys of Marano and Fumane. Its strategic location has made it an attractive site for human settlement from the Bronze Age to the Middle Ages. It is considered one of the most important archaeological sites of the whole Valpolicella. Along the western slopes of the hill of Castelon, in Santa Maria di Minerbe, in 1835 have been unearthed the remains of a Roman temple dedicated to Minerva (hence the toponym Minerbe). In the summit area there are the remains of a castle, which is clearly related to the name Castelon; it became important due to Federico della Scala. Problably, the castle was destroyed definitively in 1325, when Federico fell into disgrace.
In the southern side of the hill Castelon there is the ancient church of Santa Maria di Menerbe, also called “della Valverde”. The church dates back to the twelfth century, but the modern structure it dates back to 1682. Inside the Church there is a venerated wooden statue of the Madonna with Child. Three more altars have been consecrated to Maria, San Rocco and the Passion of Christ. Next to the church is a strain placed by the Sovereign and Most Noble Order of the Ancient Recioto (S.N.O.D.A.R.), in memory of the first Recioto knights, who were nominated by Federico della Scala. The Tibetan bridge is located in Mondrago; it is fifty-two meters long and 40 wide, the bridge connects the Valpolicella and Lessinia. It is the first project of its kind in Veneto, one of the few in Italy. The work has been strongly supported by the municipalities of Marano and Sant'Anna d'Alfaedo and the Mountain Community of Lessinia for a redevelopment of the area and for a revival of tourism. Four supporting spiral ropes for structural use hold the bridge. Other four ropes form the parapet. A non-slip grid interspersed with empty spaces allows walking through the bridge in complete safety and brings transparency to the structure, limiting its impact. The bridge is calculated for a maximum load of 400 kg per square meter. It is advisable not to exceed 10 people. In the locality of Fasanara at Valgatara, there is Villa Guantieri, one of the best preserved examples of a villa with portico and loggia with a tower. The villa, originally built in the fifteenth-century, has a portico with three arches, surmounted by a double number of arches at the lodge. Originally the facade was completely frescoed, as shown by the remains of a high frieze. The large inner courtyard can be spatially divided into two sectors. On the left there is a manor building, in the classical fifteenth century style, On the facade you can still see the remains of a decorative painting that was to cover the entire front. On the right there is a seven-century building, characterized by elegant arches on the ground floor and balconies on the first floor.
The district of Mezzano di Sotto is 20 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Castagnè and Mezzane di Sopra. The town has ancient origins as shown by the numerous archeological finds in the area, like tombs, funerary objects, coins, mosaics, fragments of plaster and clay material. Throughout the centuries, this area hosted the summer homes of many aristocratic families, attracted by the pleasantness of the area and the lush nature. The Romanesque tower is the symbol of Mezzane di Sotto district. It was originally the bell tower of the old church, which stood just in front of it and it dates from the XII century. Villa Giuliari Erbice was built in several stages and at different times, starting in 1653. The porch and turret date back to the fifteenth century. The main building is of the sixteenth century and houses the fresco painting by Paolo Farinati. The Oratory of S. Anna, in neo-Gothic style, also belonged to the villa. Villa Della Torre was built on an per-existing building and the actual construction was shaped during the sixteenth century. The building houses an extraordinary cycle of allegorical and mythological fresco paintings, works of Paul Farinati and his children, Orazio and Giambattista, commissioned by Alvise Della Torre. Moreover, the stuccoes of Bartolomeo Ridolfi have a particular value. Outside, there are gardens, a botanical garden, the remains of a lemon garden and a large fish kettle. Villa Maffei Benini is nowadays center of municipal government. It is an elegant building of the early eighteenth century, built by Count Carlo Maffei, in 1706. Inside, the villa is decorated with beautiful landscapes painted by Andrea Porta (1719-1805). In the garden, we can find statues and a beautiful magnolia century old.
The Santa Maria Assunta Church is located in an elevated position, with gothic style facade. Designed by A. It was built between 1871 and 1889. Inside there are paintings by Antonio Girola, Claudio Ridolfi, Giovanni Caliari and a “Blessed Virgin Enthroned with Saints Paul and Catherine”, work of the famous painter from Verona, Girolamo Dai Libri. The comunity of Mezzane di Sopra is a center certainly inhabited since prehistoric times. There are frequent finds of stone tools and abundant petrified remains of various mammals such as the cave bear, preserved in the Museum of Natural Sciences of Verona. An old image of the Blessed Virgin and Child in a capital in S. Fermo Street, was painted in 1353 and commissioned by a certain domino Alemanus. The Santi Fermo e Rustico Chruch dates from the fifteenth century. It was enlarged in 1766, the year in which the construction of the actual bell tower started. Inside there are works of Agostino Ugolini, Orazione Farinati, Sante Prunati and a red marble octagonal baptismal font, done in 1493, work of Bartolomeo da Massa. This work was compromised by a disastrous restoration of the eighteenth century. The San Vincenzo Ferrari Capital was built in 1891 and contains, in a recess, a statue of the patron saint.
The district of Montecchia di Crosara is 40 kilometers apart from Verona and it includes the community of Albarè, Castello, Grumolo, Meggiato e Tolotti. The waters of Alpone, the stream that flows from Bolca and flows into Adige, cross the entire territory. Due to the discovery of some inscriptions, human presence in this area is proven from the Roman Age. At the end of the tenth century, the territory became a feud of the son of Umberto Maltraversi, Lord of Padua and Vicenza. Later it became the property of the Della Scala family from Verona (XII century). Montecchia was then ruled by the Visconti from Milan and the Republic of Venice, becoming an independent municipality in 1745.
The San Salvatore Church is located on the top of the hill in the district of Castello. It was built in the tenth century, probably on the ruins of an ancient pagan temple, with a cruciform plan and three apses. In the following centuries it was subject to many structural interventions. The portico of the facade and the roof can be dated back to the nineteenth century. Today, the Romanesque building has a nave, with two apses facing the nave. Inside the cript, there are precious fresco paintings, executed between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries. Under the porch there is a votive altar built in Roman Age, dedicated to Mars. The capitals of the four columns in the crypt belong to the same period.
The district of Negrar is 15 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Arbizzano, Fane, Mazzano, Montecchio, Prun, San Peretto, San Vito, Santa Maria, Torbe and other smaller villages. The territory of Negrar extends into the eastern part of the Valpolicella meeting up, in the north, the Lessini Mountains. The valley has always been an important communication route between the lower zone of Valpolicella and high West Lessinia. The presence of man since prehistoric times is testified by the "forts", fortified villages offshore dated back to the Copper Age and the Bronze Age. In Novare, there is Villa Mosconi Bertani. It was built in the early eighteenth century by Gaetano Cristofoli, commissioned by the owner Gaetano Fattori, who gave the villa to Mosconi in 1759. The interior has a high central hall with allegorical frescoes, which comprises both floors. A large land fund cultivated with vines is attached to the villa. A Romanesque Villa is situated on the farm Le Tre Corteselle, in the village of Villa of Negrar. In 1922 were found pieces of flooring, which made it possible to identify four ambiances, three of which are open on a porch in the north. In 1987, due to some rural work, were found remains of a mosaic flooring, date back to the III century. Some fragments are now preserved in the Civic Museums of Verona. The garden Poiega of Villa Rizzardi was built between 1783 and 1796 on the project of the famous architect Luigi Trezza, commissioned by Count Antonio Rizzardi. The garden is structured by three parallel paths, that end in an avenue of cypresses, which intersects them and culminates in the Belvedere. In addition to the Belvedere, there are the Grove with the circular temple, the Nymphaeum, the Secret Garden, the oval Pond, the Parterre and the green Teatro. In this theater, there are shows during the summer season. Many statues of mythological subjects are the protagonists of different paths
The San Marco al Pozzo Church, initially dedicated to Santo Stefano, has been modified multiples times, between the XII and the XVIII centuy. The facade has a Romanique style and it is made of tuff and Prun's stone. Inside the Chruch we can find some frescos, dated back between XII and XV century, and two canvasses, “San Marco Evangelista” (from the early seventeenth century) and “Pietà” (from the early eighteenth century). The Municipality, upon reservation, assures the public opening. In the Prun village, we can find open quarries or dug with tunnels, with culverts and caves. The production was abandoned around the 1950, and they are today a very suggestive place. The oldest known use of this stone, called “Prun Stone” or “Stone of Lessinia”, dates back to the Iron Age and is related to the construction of fenced castles, firmly fenced huts, built on the back of the Lessini Mountains. Bordering the district of Negrar, in the district of Sant'Anna d'Alfaedo, there is the famous Veja bridge, the most imposing and majestic geological monument of the entire Lessinia. It is a huge natural arch, formed through the development of an original karst cave called "covolo." According to the most reliable hypotheses, the bridge was the entrance of a cave, over which flowed a stream, forming a waterfall. Very slowly, the water would have penetrated the cave, excavating the inside and leaving only the great stone arch made ofred ammonite. The structural failure dates back to about 100,000 years ago. At each side of the bridge there are two caves inhabited in prehistoric times. The finds inside, dating from the Paleolithic, are now preserved in the Paleontology and Prehistoric Museum of Sant'Anna d'Alfaedo. This location is strictly connected with the italian culture: according to tradition, this place has inspired Dante Alighieri for his eighth circle of Hell, known as Malebolge (Canto XVIII). The bridge was also represented by Andrea Mantegna, the famous painter, in the frescoes of the Bridal Chamber in Palazzo Ducale in Mantua. The are, on pubblic soil, is accessible through some traced paths and it should be visit only with sun light, because there is no illumination at night.
The district of Pescantina is 20 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Arcè, Balconi, Ospedaletto, Santa Lucia and Settimo. There are numerous testimonies from the Roman era, while the area lacks of testimonies from prehistoric times. Some Roman examples are the Latin inscriptions, the lid of a sarcophagus with hunting scenes, an altar with winged putti, sacrificial instruments and a military fragment known as "military of Arbizzano". In the Middle Ages the area was characterized by a succession of influences and conflicts, up to the Serenissima dominion, which led to a period of social tranquility. The church of San Lorenzo is a work of the eighteenth century, in the neoclassical - baroque style. In 1145 the chapel depends on San Floriano and in 1450 became Pieve, and then became parish in 1600. Its present form is due to a design by Alessandro Pompei made in 1753. The interior is decorated with many of the eighteenth century paintings. The bell tower is over 80 meters high and was built in the first half of 1800, following the drawing made by Giuseppe Barbieri. The Ethnographic Museum of Pescantina, called "Work and traditions along the Adige River," contains objects and original documents, photographs, scale models and it is set up in the parish church of San Lorenzo. The Museum presents the proof of a world linked to the Adige river, now disappeared due to the local economy changes.
Villa Quaranta is located in the hamlet of Ospedaletto. It was built in the mid-seventeenth century and it is situated in a beautiful Italian garden. The villa has two levels and an architecture with clean lines. At the main floor, there is a central loggia with three arches. The inner walls of the villa are decorated with murals. A marmoreal staircase leads to the top floor, where there is a Loggia dell'Angelo, offering a magnificent view over the park, and the Salone delle Arti, frescoed with rural motifs. Villa Bertoldi, in the village of Settimo, dates back to 1600 and preserves characteristic structure of Venetian Villas, with a large garden. The inner staircase and the wide entrance hall are decorated with four large canvases with landscapes of Andrea Porta. Opposite the Chapel, dedicated to Saint Anthony, there is a shrine dedicated to our Lady of Sorrows. Important is the library of the villa, which houses rare volumes from the 17th and 18th centuries. The monument to former inmates is a work of the architect Mirko Vucetich, built in 1966 at the train station of Balconi. It is a monument to remember the fallen in Nazi concentration camps and all veterans, who were welcomed and accommodated in the territory after the Second World War. The monument consists of a stone staircase, five steps, which bring the visitor to the tangle of barbed wire and imploring hands on both sides of the building. In the middle, it is placed a high cross, of barbed wire, with a base of red marble from Verona. At the side of the monument, it was sited a railway car, with photographs and documents on re-entry in Italy of the deported after imprisonment in concentration camps.
The district of San Martino Buon Albergo is 5 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Case Nuove, Casette, Marcellise, Mambrotta e Ferrazze. San Martino is mentioned as an urban area already in 1146. However, it was already known in Roman times, as evidences by some of the headstones, of the 1st century a. C. found in various parts of the country. The country hasn't a history on his own, because it is strictly connected with the history of Verona. It was only in 1146 that San Martino Buon Albergo broke off Verona and in 1927 there was the annexation of the current territories. Villa Girasole is in the village of Marcellise. The Villa was built between 1929 and 1935, designed by Angelo Invernizzi. It is a modern building, which rotates with a 360° movement, following the path of the Sun, lighting up the interior with as much natural light as possible. The Villa is located in a park, with tree-lined streets, lawns, rows of cypress trees and a pool. In the park there is also collected archaeological finds from Roman times.
The Church of Marcellise initially depended from the nearby Pieve of Lavagna. The oldest new on the Church of Marcellise dates back to 1306. The Church contains several canvases by Giovanni Battista Caliari, who reproduced works of other fomous artist, such as “The meeting of Jesus with his Mother on Calvary” by Raffaello, or the Holy “Apollonia and Lucia” by Giovanni Caroto. On the first altar on the right, there is a large painting, which represent a miracle of Sant'Antonio of Padua. Villa d'Acquarone, also told Musella, became a noble residence between 1654 and 1709 of a family from Verona, the Muselli, from which it takes its name. From 1506 the building was renovated and expanded. The current Villa is located around a square courtyard, with four bodies of different styles. North of the Villa, there are large halls, frescoed between 1689 and the end of the 17th century. Around the Villa, there is a seventeenth century garden, ending on the slopes, with a number of ornamental statues. The most hall important is the central one, also called “Hall of the Winds”, which shows on the ceiling mythological scenes of Air, Earth ans Sea Goddess. The Chaple is frescoed with miracles of Sant'Antonio of Padua.
The district of San Mauro di Saline is 35 kilometers apart from Verona and it includes the comunity of Saline and Taveronole. San Mauro is rich in history, art, legends and it has a long tradition of folk art. San Mauro, the patron saint, became Bishop of Verona in 612 and it seems that he passed his life as a hermit in these places. According to legend, during a period of drought, he would spill water out from a rock, thanks to his prayers. The name “Saline” may depend on the role played by the town in the past, as a center of salt deposits. The village is concentrated around the parish church (nineteenth century), which houses paintings of Rocco Pittaco and Agostino Pegrassi from Verona.
The San Mauro or San Moro Church, actually dedicated to St. Leonardo of Limoges, is not far from the town. It is located in a panoramic position, surrounded by a lush pine forest. The church, with its lowly Romanesque style, was built in its present form around 1388. Above the porch at the entrance, there is a fresco of the “Madonna of Mercy and Child with devotees”. The church has three naves and three apses. The interior, divided by Gothic arches, kept a precious wooden polyphonic of the sixteenth century, that was stolen on the night of October 15, 1967. The church today keeps a fresco painting of particular historic and artistic value (XVI century). In the forecourt of the church there is an obelisk topped by a wrought iron cross (1746). On the wall there is a stele dated 1531. The Miraculous Fount north-east the parish Church; it is a simple and modest typical building of Lessini area, which houses a source. The tradition says that this source is the one of the St. Mauro miracle.
The district of San Pietro in Cariano is 15 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Bure, Castelrotto, Corrubbio di Negarine, Pedemonte and San Floriano. The area of San Pietro in Cariano is rich in evidences, dating back to Roman times. Remains of rustic houses were found in San Floriano, Castelrotto and Quar. From this time, we also have the first evidence of wine-growing. The parish church of San Floriano is mentioned for the first time in a document of 905, although the present building dates back to the 12th century. The Church was probably built over an ancient Lombard Church. It is considered the most beautiful building of the Romanesque period in Valpolicella. The Church has three naves; the facade is entirely made of tuff, with regular blocks of stone. The interior was remodelled in the 18th century as well as the current sanctuary. Near the Church, on the north side, there is a bell tower with a square base from composite structure.
Villa Pullè Galtarossa was built in the second half of the seventeenth century. Pietro Monga, owner of the Villa since 1830, enriched the Villa with numerous archaeological finds, such as the villa's walls and stone carving in the chapel. The entrance of the Palace is over a stately avenue of cypresses. The Villa consists of a main building with two wings. Inside the palace, there are some portraits and even six landscapes of Andrea Porta. Giacomo Galtarossa bought the Villa in 1929-1930 and began to recover the building. Villa Giona Fagioli can be dated back to the 1504, thanks to a date found on a stone in the park. The building has undergone a transformation in the late 16th and early 17th century. The interior is rich in antique prints. There is also a valuable library with many rare books. The Palace is flanked by two outhouses, originally separated, ending with two “colombare”. The park surrounding the Villa is filled with fountains and statues; a path inside the garden leads to the ancient glaciers, the pond, the bridge over the brook and the centuries-old Holm oak. Villa Santa Sofia is situated on the old road from Parona to Pedemonte. The Villa has its origin in the 16th century. It is linked to the name of Andrea Palladio, who drew it on commission of Marcantonio Serego. The construction seems started between 1561 and 1564, and completed around 1590. The Villa is on two floors, both characterized with a single row of columns. The building is surrounded by a park, full of ornamental plants. Before the Villa, there was a large 14th century palace, owned by the Scaligeri. The Church attached to the Villa preserves frescoes of the beginning of the fourteenth century. Villa Costanza is named after the founder of the religious order of the Costanza Caldera of Bergamo, of the religious order of Pie Madri della Negrizia, which is the owner of the Villa since 1953. The structure that we can see today date back to the early decades of the seventeenth century. The windows of the main floor are rectangles, whereas the centre of the facade is decorated with three windows, decorated by a religious of the institute. A low wall encloses the courtyard, where there are six mythological statues. In the courtyard, there is a well of the 1623. Inside the Palace there are two large halls, one of which is decorated with frescoes by Paolo Ligozzi. Of the antique garden remains the fountain and an artificial cave.
The distric of Sant'Ambrogio di Valpolicella is at that point where the Valpolicella blends with the Valdadige and includes the community of Domegliara, Gargagnago, Monte, Ponton and San Giorgio di Valpolicella. There are numerous finds of graves, inscriptions and remains of Roman houses. In 1984, in Borgo Aleardi, an indirect cremation burial of the first century A.D. was discovered; whose grave goods are today preserved at the Verona Core Operations of the Archaeological Superintendence of Veneto. More recently, is the extraordinary discovery of a Roman house near the parish church. Sant’Ambrogio is a center renowned for its wines and for its precious marble. Wine production is favoured by the particular climatic conditions and wine production in these areas dates back from the fifth century B.C. The many wineries in the area continue this ancient tradition, crafting top-tier products, distributed internationally. The marble of Sant'Ambrogio are exported all over the world, among them the famous Rosso Verona. Already in Roman age the area was known for the activities related to the extraction and processing of Verona’s limestone, which, continued over the centuries, have made this country a renowned industrial centre. Tangible signs of this tradition are, for example, the ancient quarries (preàre) on the hill of Grola and in Coali in San Giorgio. It is widely believed that the stone materials used for the construction of the Arena di Verona come, in large part, from Cavarena di Sotto. Many other monuments of the historical centre of Verona are made with ambrosian marble, like the beautiful Fountain of Madonna in Piazza delle Erbe. The city hosted the world’s fair Marmomacchine from 1961 until 1992, now transferred to the exhibition centre of Verona. In the main square, at the top of a beautiful and dramatic marble staircase, is the Municipal Building. On the staircase, there are some statues: at the base, there are two lions, the guardians of the square, whereas in the middle there is the Monument to the Stonemason, the work of sculptor Ante Marinovic, made in Rosso Verona. The Town Hall has a main body with two protruding wings perfectly symmetrical. The entire building has, at the top, a beautiful painted frieze. Inside this decorative band, there are represented the districts and main villas. In the front panel is instead depicted the whole chain of marble from the concept phase to the extraction. Of particular value is a fresco dating from the fourteenth or fifteenth century, which survives on one of the external facades, representing the “Madonna nursing the baby”.
Villa Brenzoni Bassani, starting 1960, is proprety of the district of Sant'Ambrogio and it is locaded inside the exhibition center. The building is the result of a series of successive interventions in time, from the thirteenth century. The current appearance of the villa is due to a renovation in neo-classical style, wanted by Chiarastella Brenzoni Volpini around 1805. Paolo Brenzoni, grandson of Chiarastella, is the founder of the School of Art of Sant'Ambrogio. Villa Nichesola Mocenigo was originally built in the sixteenth century. It underwent a radical transformation in the late sixteenth century thanks to lawyer Fabio Nichesola, owner of the villa. The lack of a higher central part does not make Villa Nichesola a traditional Venetian villa. According to the testimony of Scipione Maffei, the Villa was covered inside and outside with frescoes by Paolo Farinati. Not much is left of the external decoration. Well visible are instead the beautiful murals that adorn the rooms of the Villa. Villa Serego Alighieri is composed of a series of separated buildings, pavilions, courtyards, loggias of different periods and styles. Pietro I, son of the great poet Dante, in 1353 purchased the first plot corresponding to the current Casal dei Ronchi. The rooms of the main building are internally decorated with stucco, emblems, mosaics, frescoes of eighteenth century, depicting statues of gods and fake architectural spaces. There is also a chapel dedicated to the Virgin built in 1637. It contains a beautiful “Madonna and Child” attributed to Liberale from Verona. The beautiful little church of San Zeno in Poia is located on the hill of Grola, traditionally the best site for the production of Recioto. The church retains externally the original Romanesque structure, built of blocks of regular pink limestone. The interior has a single nave with a semi-circular apse and the remains of medieval frescoes, among which we recognize a “San Zeno” and “St. George on horseback” Behind the Gargagnago church, begins the health path. The equipped path, ideal for lovers of outdoor fitness, steeps in the green to climb to the ancient village of San Giorgio di Valpolicella. The village of San Giorgio di Valpolicella, in November 2015, has joined the Club of “Italy's most beautiful Towns”. This is considered the richer place of Roman inscriptions, not only of Valpolicella, but perhaps of the entire province of Verona. Many of these inscriptions are preserved in museums and in private collections, including the Museum Maffeiano and the Archaeological Museum of the Roman Theater in Verona. The ancient Romanesque-barbaric parish church of San Giorgio was probably built near a pagan temple. The interior of the church is divided into three naves, with apses on both short sides. The church has some paintings of particular historic and artistic value. Among these are the “Resurrection of Christ” attributed to Palma il Giovane and the “Martyrdom of St. George”, work of the painter G. B. Lanceni. The bell tower and the cloister dates from the twelfth century. The capitals of the columns are of particular interest: they are worked in different forms and carved with animals and plant motifs. On the north side of the church, there is the Archaeological and Lapidary Museum of San Giorgio. This is a valuable collection of artefacts that documents the history of the place from the Paleolithic age to the Paleo-Christian era. The Cypress of Stone is a monument particularly dear to the inhabitants of the place. It was erected in 1929 in memory of a tragic event that occurred two years earlier. On the evening of June 6, 1927, a truck loaded with quarried stones and carrying 13 stone workers, capsized in the curve of Fontana Vecia in San Giorgio, and rushes into the embankment, crushing 11 young men. Those fatal stones were used for the construction of this monument.
The district of Tregnago is 30 kilometres apart from Verona and it includes the community of Centro, Cogollo, Finetti, Marcemigo, Rancani e Scorgnano. Archaeological findings attest the presence of man since prehistoric times. Also many Roman finds were found, including a small lare made of bronze, which dates back to the 1st Century B.C. In the early Middle Ages, the church of San Martino became a collection center for the Christian population of the upper valley. Always in the middle ages, a castle-fortress was build, which represented the salvation of the population in case of attack. The Castle still exist. Between the 11th and the 12th centuries, the Ezzelini family settled in the village of Cogollo, buying numerous properties. The Santa Maria Assunta parish church was built in 1878, after the fall of the old bell tower. It is located on the former Church of Santa Maria Assunta. The present Church was opened in 1922, after having been extended. The style is Romanesque, with three naves and a vaulted ceiling. Of the ancient Church it is leaving only the porch, located on the facade of the Disciplina Church, and the octagonal baptistery of red marble, dating back to 1438, commissioned by the Achpriest Jacopo Rubeo.
The Legato Casareo is a building that dates back to the late Middle Agrs, also known as “Don Marino's House”, named after a priest in the twentieth century. The Casari were an important family of Tregnago, known since the 15th century, especially for its propensity to order altars for local churches. The House was donates to the municipality of Tregnago in 1630, with a bequest by Don Francesco Carbone. Recently renovates, the Legato Casareo is became home to some associations. The surrounding garden is now a playground, dedicated to Pope Giovanni Paolo II. Tregnago Castle is located on a hill at east of the county and it was built between the 11th and the 12th century, on the ruins of an ancient Roman fortification. Only a few vestiges remain od the Castle, including the pentagonal tower and the clock tower, in which is visible a 14th-century fresco of a “Madonna con Bambino” and a kneeling figure.
The district of Verona is located in Veneto, in north Italy. The city has Roman origin and we can find numerous evidences, like the Arena, an amphitheater built thanks to Vespasiano, the emperor in the I century a. C.
The city is also known as the place of the Shakespearean tragedy, Romeo and Juliet. Verona has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site, for its urban structure and architecture, which integrates artistic features of quality of several successive periods.